Gordon and Dorothy Sutcliffe's Wedding, 22nd of April 1952

Dublin Core

Title

Gordon and Dorothy Sutcliffe's Wedding, 22nd of April 1952

Subject

person-local

Description

Dorothy and the Golden were married on 22 March 1952. at Salem Methodist Church, Market Street, Hebden Bridge. (where the current Methodist Chuch is sited) The photographs were taken in Alice Longstaff's Studio West End Hebden Bridge. Then the bridal party walked back to the Chapel for the reception in the school room.

Material was still rationed after the war so Dorothy and her bridesmaids had ready-made dresses which they went to Manchester to buy. Her dress had a figured satin top and a tulle skirt. She carried a bouquet of pink roses as Alice Longstaff advised these would show up better than red on the photographs.
Gordon’s Adult Life On leaving school Gordon went to work at John Pickles Engineers Mytholm Works as an apprentice fitter from 1942 to 46 He returned to complete his apprenticeship after his National Service. He had varied working life in and around the Calder Valley and Burnley.
He married Dorothy Mills on 22nd March 1952 and the couple went to live at High St Jack Bridge, later moving to “Four Winds” Blackshaw Head in 1969 where he lived for the rest of his life.

Creator

Alice Longstaff West End Photographic Studios Hebden Bridge

Date

22nd March 1952: taken

Contributor

Made available by: Dorothy Sutcliffe, Four Winds, Blackshaw Head, HX7 7JJ
Edited by: Ged and Monica Haley SHED members

Format

jpg

Language

Engliish

Type

Scanned still image

Identifier

Omeka item id: 110
Original filename: wed.jpg

Files

wed.jpg

Citation

Alice Longstaff West End Photographic Studios Hebden Bridge, “Gordon and Dorothy Sutcliffe's Wedding, 22nd of April 1952,” SHED (Blackshaw Local History Group) Archive, accessed August 16, 2018, http://blackshawhistory.org/items/show/110.

Please, tell us about this item

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking